Outgrew

Outgrew 
Shelly Ambrose, 2024

When I was young,  you greeted me in a way
That made me feel loved and completely seen.
As I aged, you made me feel like I was in the way,
Love was conditional and I shouldn't be seen.

My human nature had to die
As good appearances became the only goal.
Time ticked, ticked quickly by,
You never tried to see into my soul.

You prayed with hands wide open,
Yet tightly  closed yours to me-
Ok with what remained broken
While I picked up the debris,

Left behind from your superficial circus.
I held on to pieces of hope and walked into
My meaningful, authentic purpose.
So many milestones, where were you?

You celebrated and reached out
To my friends but not to  me.
Cold communication's sprout
Taught me how to bloom free.

My extended family died
On the day the casket lid closed.
It's been an emotional, eye opening  ride, 
Many  hidden personalities became exposed.

Resilience and Focus
Rose up  from my core.
I looked around, took notice
Of those who have poured into me more.

I embraced them, they didn't leave me on my own.
I stopped fighting for people I once knew
Or places I've outgrown.
Being fully accepted  was long overdue.
When I grew  up, you never greeted me in a way
That made me feel loved  and completely seen.
I kept going, stayed out of your way,
Allowed my heart to always be seen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bright Light

Who and what is Work of Hearts?

Don't Be Afraid to Try Something New